Search

Home

School Photos

We have copied the photos exhibited in the BSB and attached them below. We do not have all that many photos from the early days of the school and we would be happy to receive any photos that you may wish to share.

BSB 1958

Thumbnail: BSB 1958
2 Images

The first location of the school was at the Station Master´s house (Train station). Dorothy Langdale was headmaster and the school had some 100 students. Mr. Awad Tuhwani, far left, and Mr. Khalifa, middle, were the caretakers of the school. Mr. Awad was with us to the end of the 1980's.

BSB 1960 - 1970

Thumbnail: BSB 1960 - 1970
3 Images

The British School was housed at the Station Master´s house, where hotel Tibesti is today up to some time in the 1960s.

It is said that one day the Headmistress went outside as usual in the morning and blew her whistle to bring the students in to classes. The train driver thought that was his signal to go, and immediately left the station, leaving passengers stranded on the platform! It is also said that after that, a bell was always rung to bring the students in. Never again was a whistle used, even up to now in 2014.

At some time, we believe end of 1960's, we moved to the house of Maizigk Hamouda between what is today Dubai street and the old DÁosta barracks. The school photo show some 50 children at that time. We do not have the name of the Headmaster. Mrs. Daphne Swan was deputy headmaster.

BSB 1971 - 1974

Thumbnail: BSB 1971 - 1974
16 Images

1971 - 1974. Mr. David F. Jones was the headmaster of BSB. We were delighted to receive a letter from Mr. Jones in Oktober 2014 in which he generously helped us with many of the blanks in the history of our school. We are very grateful for his contribution.

Shortly before Mr. Jones arrived to Benghazi, the school moved to the "Sousi villa" in Belaun, Feuhat. We had only four classes at that time, two in KS1 and two in KS2. Teachers were Mr. Jones and Mrs. Tarling for the juniors, Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Swan for the infants.
The following year the school expanded to the second Sousi villa next door. A third villa would later be added.

BSB 1984

Thumbnail: BSB 1984
9 Images

Mr. Elfyn Thomas was the headmaster from 1974 to 1989

BSB 1990

Thumbnail: BSB  1990
8 Images

We moved to a new school building around the corner in Belaoun and stayed there between 1990 and 2006.
Mrs. Judith Hardy was our headmaster between 1989 and 1995.

BSB 1994/1995

Thumbnail: BSB 1994/1995
12 Images

Mrs. Judy Hardy was the Headmaster between 1990 and 1995

BSB 1995/1996

Thumbnail: BSB 1995/1996
12 Images

Tony Ottway was the headmaster

BSB 1997/1998

Thumbnail: BSB 1997/1998
7 Images

Mr. Chris Peedell was the headmaster between 1998 and 2001

BSB 2002/2003

Thumbnail: BSB 2002/2003
1 Images

Mrs. Marilyn Ferguson was the headmaster between 2001 and 2004

BSB 2004/2005

Thumbnail: BSB 2004/2005
9 Images

Anthony McQuiggan was headmaster between 2004 and 2010

BSB 2006/2007

Thumbnail: BSB 2006/2007
8 Images

We moved to the new building next to the European School and the Greek Community

BSB 2013/2014

Thumbnail: BSB 2013/2014
16 Images

Randy Robinson headmaster from 2012